Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Bye, Bye Buttermilk!

Over the weekend, a conversation with fellow foodie blogger Tahrikh led to a recipe light bulb. He asked me how to achieve the super crunchy crust on a fried chicken. I went into automatic chef mode and laid out my tried and true buttermilk fried chicken recipe. Then the wheels started turning and I wondered, "what if I used coconut milk/cream instead?". I decided to try it and the result was simply masterful. Test it yourself. I'm certain you'll be just as excited as I was.
Also, my recipe will be in a more relaxed, easy to follow, conversational format. I hope you dig it. Yes, I said that.


Start with 1 cup coconut milk or cream. Add to it 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp salt and1/4 tsp cayanne pepper. Add 1lb chicken parts and let marinate in fridge for at least 20 minutes.

In a separate medium bowl, combine 1 cup of flour, 1 tbsp corn starch, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp ground ginger and 1/4 tsp garlic powder.

Heat vegetable oil for frying, testing it's readiness but inserting a wooden spoon. If it sizzles, your a go!

Remove chicken from coconut milk and drain. Completely coat in seasoned flour, lightly shaking off excess and fry until golden brown and juices run clear. Remember to turn them to ensure even browning.

Simply, remove from pan, drain on paper towel and sere with your favorite sides. As you can see, I like veggies and potatoes :-)





***Want a crispier crust? Simply double the coconut milk and double dip the bird...flour/coconut milk/flour/fry. It's that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment